How the BRS-1 Works
1. Device Deployment
The BRS-1 device is deployed by a Minnowtech technician. It provides coverage for an entire pond, no matter the size.
2. Data Collection
BRS-1 sits under the surface of the pond and collects data using sonar. A technician will service the device on a routine basis.
3. Data Analysis
A Minnowtech technician will collect and transfer data to an online portal, giving you real-time access to your data.
Minnowtech Early Access Program
Following successful trials of the BRS-1, we’re moving into the next phase: The Minnowtech Early Access Program.
- One (1) biomass reader system and all required cables.
- Biomass data readings for (2) two growouts.
- Ideally, we are looking for organizations that have both power and wifi available pondside. If there is not a viable power source, Minnowtech can develop a solution to power the devices at an added cost.
- We’re so convinced of the power of our technology, Minnowtech will provide a total refund with return of hardware if you are not satisfied with your results at the end of the program.
- A single biomass reader system comprised of six (6) BRS-1 devices has a coverage area of 9-10 hectares. After two (2) grow outs, our machine learning algorithm gets smarter. This allows your system coverage to expand by 2X, reducing the number of devices needed per 9-10 hectares from six (6) devices to just three (3) devices, and cutting the total investment necessary in half.
Impact on a Global Scale
Shrimp farming is a significant pillar of the global food chain, but it’s a tough business. Farmers struggle with high risks and low profits, and existing industry technologies fall short in providing the data they need to make crucial decisions. Farmers are often left guessing about how many shrimp to stock and how much and how often to feed them. And they can miss early signs of devastating events, like disease outbreaks. We want to change that.
Founded in 2018 in Baltimore, MD, as a collaborative effort between Dr. Suzan Shahrestani and Early Charm, Minnowtech develops precision aquaculture technologies to maximize aquafarmers’ cultivation efforts using integrated sensor-based systems.
Dr. Shahrestani has a PhD in Fisheries Science and is an expert in applying image analysis, spatial statistics, and population dynamics to the noninvasive assessment of aquatic organisms. Early Charm is a startup studio that co-founds early-stage companies based around intellectual property coming out of universities and federally-funded labs.
The Minnowtech Team
Marine biologists, seasoned business professionals, and a first-class field team.
shrimp whisperer extraordinaire
Adam Van Dyke
Director of Business Development
Aquaculture Industry Associate
Aquaculture R&D Technician
Head of Sales & Marketing
Mary Beth Wickless
Minnowtech Featured in I95 Business
August 10, 2022, Baltimore, MD – Minnowtech was featured in the August 2022 edition of I95 Business magazine. The story covers the launch of the BRS-1 [...]
Job Opening: Sales Associate
Sales Associate for Minnowtech: You will work to generate leads, close deals, and as a primary point of contact with our existing clients. What we do: [...]
Minnowtech to Introduce First-Ever Biomass Reader for Shrimp in Special Product Launch Digital Event, April 21
Minnowtech’s BRS-1 will be unveiled as part of a launch initiative to invite a select group of industry aquaculture partners to join a special six-month product [...]